We Can Help
You are not alone. Did you know that for every eight people in California, one of them has asthma? That means about 5 million people in California have asthma. In 2012, about 186,000 people had to be treated in emergency rooms, and about 33,000 people had to stay in the hospital to treat their asthma.
There is no cure for asthma. But you can control your asthma with an asthma action plan that we will create together.
Did you know that some of the things that trigger your asthma can be avoided?
- Dust mites are tiny bugs that live in the dust. Use pillow covers and mattress covers to make a barrier between dust mites and you. Be sure to wash your bedding in very hot water.
- Cockroaches and their droppings can cause an asthma attack. Be sure to vacuum or sweep the areas in your house every 2-3 days to avoid cockroaches.
- Pets such as cats and dogs in the house may trigger an asthma attack. Trimming the fur of your pet will not help. You may need to give your pet a bath at least once a week if your pet lives in the house.
- Avoid tobacco smoke in the house. Smoke from cigarettes or other tobacco smoke harms the lungs and airways, causing an asthma attack.
- Mold can cause an asthma attack. If you have a leaky sink or toilet, be sure to have it fixed because mold needs damp places to grow.
In fact, there are many things that can cause your asthma to get worse. When you visit our Fresno Asthma Bus, we will help you control your asthma so that you will feel better.