Peak Flow Meter
A Peak Flow Meter measures the flow of air as it is exhaled from the lungs. It will let your provider rate your asthma, see how well your medications are working, and know if your asthma is getting worse.
How Do I Use a Peak Flow Meter?
- Move the marker to the bottom of the numbered scale.
- Stand up straight.
- Take a deep breath while you place the mouthpiece in your mouth, between your teeth. Close your lips around the mouthpiece. Do not put your tongue against or inside the mouthpiece.
- Blow as hard and fast as you can in a single blow.
- If you coughed or did not do the steps right, start the steps again.
- If you did the steps correctly, write down the number, move the marker back to the bottom, and repeat all steps two more times.
- The highest of the three numbers is your peak flow number. Write it down in your log.